The Office of Child and Youth Protection mission is to create and maintain Safe Environments for Youth and Vulnerable Persons.
Recognizing that each individual is created by God, the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown is committed to the safety and well-being of its children and vulnerable adults by implementing procedures to minimize the risks and barriers and to build and foster a culture of safe environments.
The Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown does not tolerate abuse or neglect of anyone. It will comply with all obligations of civil and canon law; it will promote healing where it is needed; provide education, training and guidance; and endeavor to prevent any abuse of minors or vulnerable adults with firm justice and mercy towards all.
Under the Safe Environments Program, the diocese shall:
- Establish and enforce policies and codes of conduct for the protection of youth and vulnerable persons
- Comply with all applicable civil and canon laws and cooperate with civil authorities
- Screen, train and monitor all diocesan personnel who are in contact with youth and vulnerable persons
- Supervise youth and vulnerable persons who participate in diocesan programs and activities
- Manage the use of technology that is under the control of the diocese
- Maintain safe and secure facilities that are under the control of the diocese
- Investigate and resolve concerns, complaints and allegations regarding risks to persons
- Establish leadership, oversight and auditing for the Safe Environments Program
- Review and revise the diocesan policies and Safe Environments program to ensure they remain effective